Monday, January 17, 2005

Another Letter

Dear Alvis:

Things are much the same here in Hootin Holler. Jobs are so hard to find that last week someone offered your Dad a penny for his thoughts and he said it was nice to be working again.

Herman Cool finally got engaged. He met this girl in a revolving door, and they started going round together. Her father died recently and left her everything. They don’t know how much it is because they haven’t gone through his pants pockets yet.

George Ogg came into a lot of money last week by a lucky stroke. His uncle had the stroke. Your father asked him what he was going to do with the money, and George said he was going to buy two hundred gallons of elderberry wine, 500 lottery tickets, and 100 packages of licorice gum, and if he had any money left, he’d probably just spend that foolishly.

Today your father told me he as homesick. And I said, “But dear, this IS your home!” and he said, “I know, but I’m sick of it.” Two weeks ago was our anniversary. We exchanged presents. He exchanged the one I gave him and I exchanged the one he gave me. So I gave him a new TV and stereo. You should have seen his face today when Renta Center picked them up.

Well, son, I must close now and go help your father. He stuck his finger in a turtle’s mouth to see if it was a snapping turtle. It was.

Love,
Mama

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home